Vanuatu, French Polynesia, Wallis and Futuna, Kiribati, New Zealand etc.).
Since 2016, Mr. Sarramegna has been appointed as an expert at the Tribunal de Nouméa and has carried out various appraisals, particularly concerning the mining and industrial site of Vale Nouvelle-Calédonie
Senior Environnemental Specialist – Koniambo Nickel Project – Falconbridge NC SAS – New Caledonia — 2001-2006
Dr. Sébastien Sarramegna has been Director of the Environment Department (annual budget of 10 million USD).
Mr. Sarramegna wrote and implemented the marine environmental monitoring plan (> USD 2 million per year) for the entire study area (40km long and 12km wide). As part of his activities, Mr. Sarramegna was responsible for the overall coordination and scientific and technical supervision of the Baseline Environmental Study and the Environmental and Social Impact Assessment, relating to the terrestrial and marine environments as well as the impacts of the different components of the project on the ecosystems of the Koniambo Project. Mr. Sarramegna coordinated (planning, team management, centralization and data transmission) the monitoring programs and studies of the terrestrial physical environment, as well as terrestrial and freshwater fauna. As part of these regular activities, Mr. Sarramegna ensured the maintenance and control of environmental data banks and was also in charge of the application and compliance with the environmental, health and safety standards required for specific field studies.
All these activities have enabled us to forge and maintain privileged relations with several local and international consultants, the local administrations, but also with the local research organizations through the implementation of several framework collaboration agreements.
Deputy Director – Scientifique and Educational manager – New Caledonian Aquarium. — 2006-2008
As scientific director, Mr. Sarramegna was responsible for the settlements of the aquarium and the opening of the pools to the public. In addition, Mr. Sarramegna was in charge of relations between the aquarium and research organizations in New Caledonia (IRD, SPC etc.), Australia and the United States. Of the research programs implemented, two were significant:
- study of the migratory behavior of loggerhead turtles, in partnership with the University of Hawaii;
- the study of fish post-larvae settlement in the southwest lagoon of New Caledonia, in partnership with the IRD.
Finally, Mr. Sarramegna has developed a breeding and rearing program for the main coral species of the southwestern New Caledonia lagoon.
Manager / Associate – EMR consulting company — 2008-Today
As part of his activities of expert consultant at EMR, Mr. Sarramegna has conducted hundreds of environmental impact assessment studies and managed numerous projects all around New Caledonia as well as in the Pacific (Tahiti, Wallis and Futuna, Vanuatu, Kiribati).
The main significant projects are :
- Koniambo coral transplantation program (feasibility study, field works, monitoring program) : 2 000 coral colonies of different sizes (60 cm to more than 2 m) were saved and relocated due to the dredging of 8 000 000 m3from lagoon seabed for the construction of the port access channel;
- Koniambo mangrove restoration program (feasibility study, field works, local communities training program, monitoring program) : 4.7 ha of mangroves trees were grow in artisanal and industrial nurseries and transplant in field to compensate the impact of industrial port construction;
- Koniambo marine monitoring program (scientific manager, field work, studies, analytical report) : construction of the port infrastructure necessary for the Koniambo project (access channel, industrial port, access road, etc.) required the implementation of a comprehensive environmental monitoring program of all environmental components. Thus, the marine environmental monitoring for more than 2 years (monthly field surveys) has estimated to evaluate the environmental impacts on more than 100 monitoring stations and on the following parameters: physicochemical quality of water and sediments, sedimentation rates, seagrass beds (species richness, abundance, spatial distribution), the coral-reef communities (species richness, density, biomass, spatial distribution), the occurrence of ciguatera and the contamination of oysters and mud crabs tissue;
- Vale hydrological and hydrgeological monitoring program : for 10 years, Vale Nouvelle-Calédonie entrusted us with the environmental monitoring of the rivers and groundwater present in the influence of its industrial project. The monthly monitoring surveys consisted in following the physicochemical quality of the water, carrying out the gauging and the calibration curve of the rivers, and raising the piezometric levels. This monitoring program was carried out on 300 measuring points (rivers and piezometers);
- Geovic chromium sand project, in partnership with T&T I: Geovic Energy, a private American company, has obtained a license for exploration of chromite sand in New Caledonia. This authorization concerned 12 research permits in the northern province and 19 research permits in the southern province. The drilling program consisted of approximately 2,060 holes totaling approximately 14,000 m. Geovic entrusted us with the entire environmental and social impact assessment study, including the analysis of terrestrial natural environment, the analysis of marine natural environment, the analysis of human context, the study of the impacts of the project and the final rehabilitation program. In addition, particular attention should be paid to the protection of surface and sub-surface water;
- SLN Prony hydrometallurgical project : the SLN obtained PRA (Applied Research Permits) from PRONY and EMOUCHET. The mineral resources of these PRAs along with the other SLN concessions in Prony Bay are expected to support a major international economic project: a hydrometallurgical plant with 60 kT of nickel per year. As part of the development of this project, SLN chose us as the lead consultant. This initial step over a period of about 3 years. The main consultant’s role consisted in: the preliminary scoping study, the impact study of the 2010-2011 drilling survey programs, the definition of the specific studies needed, the consultation and the coordination of the consultants for the specific studies, the implementation of environmental monitoring indicators and the drafting of the final report;
- JICA Road Reconstruction Project in Tarawa (Kiribati): The JICA project was to reconstruct the southern road (Bairiki) of the main island of Kiribati (Tarawa). The environmental and social impact assessment study was conducted in partnership with local communities and consisted of studying the human context (especially fishing activities), the terrestrial natural environment (fauna and flora) and the marine environment (water and sediment quality, coral species and reef communities). The impacts were analyzed and the avoidance, reduction and compensation measures were enacted;
- Reconstruction of the port of Futuna in partnership with T & T I: following several cyclones, the port infrastructures of Futuna island (Wallis and Futuna) need to be rebuilt. This work was funded by the European Union and it was therefore necessary to carry out an environmental and social impact assessment study in accordance with international standards. This subject consisted of studying the physicochemical quality of water and sediments, the seagrass beds (species richness, abundance, spatial distribution), the coral-reef communities (species richness, density, biomass, spatial distribution), and the cultural context of Futuna and its implications. on the project;
- Audit of the hydrocarbons activities of the port of Papeete (Tahiti): the port of Papeete has a strong activity of receiving and transporting hydrocarbons. However, the regulatory framework is underdeveloped and many professionals do not work in compliance with standards. The port authority has asked us to carry out, a thorough audit of all the existing activities of the port, a regulatory analysis of each of these activities, an analysis of the regulatory requirements (national and international) and to present an action plan for the possible improvement for each society to be in good standing.
Université de la Nouvelle-Calédonie — Phd, 2000
PhD thesis in Oceanography (population dynamic option) „Impact of marine protected areas on fish populations in the southwest lagoon of New Caledonia » Very honorable mention with the congratulations of the jury.
Teaching — 1996 – 2005
- HSE for « DEUST Revégétalisation » and mining environment management;
- « Attaché d’enseignement et de recherche ». Université de la Nouvelle-Calédonie ;
- Animal physiology en « DEUG Sciences de la Vie, 2ème année » ;
- Travaux Pratiques de physiologie animale en Licence de Sciences Naturelles ;
- Technicien de laboratoire à l’Université de la Nouvelle-Calédonie.
- Environmental Management System: ISO 14001 ;
- Safety Management System : OHSAS 18001 ;
- Safety in the enterprises;
- Queensland Herbarium : mangrove rehabilitation, „Brisbane airport mangrove rehabilitation project” ;
- Southern Cross University : mangrove ecosystem restoration;
- Sydney Olympic Park : Sydney Olympic park restauration program;
- Brisbane Port Authority : environnemental management programs.
- Australian Institute of Marine Science (A.I.M.S.) : reef communities ;
- Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authorities (G.B.R.M.P.A.) : Great Australian Lagoon managemen program : surveillance, enforcement, information ;
- James Cook University (J.C.U.) : roles of marine protected areas.
- Chabanet P, Guillemot N, Kulbicki M, Vigliola L, Sarramegna S., 2010. Baseline study of the spatio-temporal patterns of reef fish assemblages prior to a major mining project in New Caledonia (South Pacific). Marine Pollution Bulletin 61 : 598–611 ;
- Preuss, Pelletier D, Wantiez L, LetourneurY, Sarramegna S, Kulbicki M, Galzin R, Ferraris J., 2009. Considering multiple species attributes to better understand the effects of successive changes in protection status on a coral reef fish assemblage. ICES Journal of Marine Science 66: 170-179 ;
- Wantiez L, Sarramegna S et Virly S., 2008. Communautés biologiques et habitats coralliens de la réserve Merlet. Etat initial. Province Sud de la Nouvelle-Calédonie, Université de la Nouvelle-Calédonie. Rapport Aquarium des Lagons. 77 p ;
- Wantiez, Garrigue C, Virly S, Sarramegna S., 2007. The status of coral reefs in New Caledonia. In: Status of coral reefs of the South West Pacific, report 2007. Whippy-Morris C Editeur. CRISP publications, Nouméa : 56-83 ;
- Kulbicki, Sarrammegna S, Letourneur Y, Wantiez L, Galzin R, Mou-Tham G, Chauvet C Thollot P., 2007. Opening of an MPA to fishing: natural variations in the structure of a coral reef fish assemblage obscure changes due to fishing. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 353: 145-163 ;
- Wantiez L, Sarramegna S., 2007. Réseau d’observation des récifs coralliens (RORC). Radiales Nouméa Sud et Nord. Résultats avril 2007. Ifrecor, Université de la Nouvelle-Calédonie. Rapport Aquarium des Lagons. 22 p ;
- Clua E.; Legendre P.; Vigliola L.; Magron F.; Kulbicki M.; Sarramegna S.; Labrosse P.; Galzin R., 2006. Medium scale approach (MSA) for improved assessment of coral reef fish habitat. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 333: 219-230 ;
- Sarramegna S. ; Kulbicki M.; Chabanet P.; Guillemot N.; Vigliola L.; Labrosse P., 2005. . Les poissons des récifs dans la région de Koné. Premiers résultats comparatifs des évaluations en plongée menées par l’IRD, la CPS, la Province Nord et Falconbridge entre 1996 et 2003. 277pp ;
- Sarramegna S.; Letourneur Y.; Kulbicki M.; Wantiez L.; Galzin R.; Mou-Tham G.; Chauvet C.; Thollot P., 2003. Temporal changes in the structure of coral reef fish communities in a New Caledonian protected area: Relative influences of opening to fishing and of environmental variations. Environmental Conservation ;
- Kulbicki M.; Chabanet P.; Sarramégna S.; Guillemot N.; Vigliola L.; Labrosse P., 2004. Les poissons de récifs dans la région de Koné (NO Nouvelle-Calédonie) : premiers résultats comparatifs des évaluations en plongée menées par l’IRD, la CPS et Falconbridge entre 1996 et 2002. Doc. Tech. ORSTOM 106 p ;
- Sarramegna, S., 2001. Contribution of the study of marine protected areas in the southwestern lagoon of New Caledonia. Cybium 25 (3) 2001 ;
- Sarramegna, S.; Kulbicki, M.; Letourneur, Y.; Thollot, P.; Wantiez, L.; Mou-Tham, G.; Galzin, R.; Chauvet C., 2001. Links between biological populations and the morphological structures of a New Caledonian barrier reef. Atoll Research Bulletin ;
- Kulbicki, M.; Sarramegna, S., 1998. Adequacy of several density estimates obtained from Underwater Visual Census: a case study of Pomacanthidae and Pomacentridae; Aquat. Living Res. 15 (2) 1999 ;
- Kulbicki, M.; Galzin, R.; Letourneur, Y.; Mou-Tham, G.; Sarramegna, S.; Thollot, P.; Wantiez, L. et Chauvet, C., 1996. Les peuplements de poissons du récif Aboré : Structure et abondance. Doc. Tech. ORSTOM 220 p
- 2005, 7ème Forum halieumétrique, Nantes (21 – 23 Juin) :
- Poignonec D., Ferraris J., Sarramegna S., Fontenelle G. Modalités d’évolution d’une zone côtière calédonienne soumise à de fortes variations de pressions anthropiques – Approche écosystémique en vue d’une gestion intégrée. Oral ;
- Chabanet P., Baillon N., Ferraris J., Guillemot N., Kulbicki M., Mou-Tham G., Poignonec D., Sarramegna S. & Vigliola L. A cost-benefit analysis for monitoring the impact of an anthropogenic disturbance on a traditionally managed coral reef ecosystem in a rural area of the South-Pacific island (New-Caledonia) – A preliminary approach. Oral.
- 2004, 4th world Fisheries Congress, Vancouver (2-6 Mai) :
- Poignonec, D.; Fontenelle, G.; Labrosse, P.; Sarramegna, S. & Ferraris, J. Towards an ecosystem approach for integrating modifications on coral reef fisheries resources by industrial development in New-Caledonia. Poster.
- 2004, 10th Internatinal Coral Reef Symposium, Okinawa (29 Juin-2 Juillet) :
- Flynn, A., Sarramegna, S. & Kulbicki, M. Coral Reef Fish Spawning Periodicity and Habitat in New Caledonia: a multi-faceted approach in a data-deficient environment. Oral.
- 2004, Assises de la Recherche Française dans le Pacifique, Nouméa (24-27 Août) :
- Labussiere, A.; Ambrosi, J-P.; Kissling, A.; Sarramegna, S.; Perrier, N.; Swarbrick, B.; Kolb, P. & Colin, F. Signature géochimique des bassins versants de Nouvelle-Calédonie : Matières particulaires et dissoutes des rivières de la région du massif de Koniambo. Poster.
- 2000, 9th Int. Coral Reef Symp. Bali (23-27 Octobre) :
- Sarramegna, S. & Chauvet, C. Are small marine reserves effective? A case study in the southwest lagoon of New Caledonia. Poster ;
- Sarramegna, S.; Wantiez, L. & Chauvet, C. Impact of fishing activity have on nearby marine reserve? A case study of Abore reef. Poster ;
- Sarramegna, S. Spatial structure of commercial reef fish communities in the southwest lagoon of New Caledonia. Oral.
- 1997, 5th Indo-Pacific Fish Conference Noumea. (3-8 Novembre) :
- Sarramegna, S.; Chauvet, C.; Letourneur, Y.; Kulbicki, M.; Galzin, R.; Mou-Than, G.; Thollot, P.; Wantiez, L.,. The Abore marine reserve (New Caledonia) – 1: General presentation of the study. Oral ;
- Sarramegna, S.; Chauvet, C.; Letourneur, Y.; Kulbicki, M.; Galzin, R.; Mou-Than, G.; Thollot, P.; Wantiez, L.,. The Abore Marine Reserve – 5: Comparison of density biomass and size structure of fish communities. Oral.
- 1997, 8th Pacific Science Inter-Congress, Suva; Fiji (13-19 Juillet) :
- Sarramegna, S.; Chauvet, C.,. The protection of coral islets in the southwest lagoon of New Caledonia. Poster.
- 1996, 8th Int. Coral Reef Symp., Panama (24-29 Juin)
- Sarramegna, S.; Cayron, P.,. The protection of coral islets in the lagoon of New Caledonia. Poster.
- Diving instructor (MF1) ;
- First aid instructor (MFS) ;
- IT : Word, Excel, statistical (STAT-ITCF, STATISTICA, STAVIEW, ADE-4), Adobe Illustrator, Designer, CANVAS, Adobe Photoshop, MapInfo, Osiris, PowerPoint, Quark XPress ;
- Anglais : Lut, écrit, parlé ;
- Drive licence : voiture, bateau, Certificat de Radiotéléphoniste Restreint ;
- Association : Président d’un club de plongée. Structure associative de 100 personnes.